Thursday, September 28, 2006

Looking for a life (coach)

Yesterday, I searched for an online community for comedy writers and found writers dot com. It gives aspiring writers the chance to meet/stalk other aspiring writers. Members can post their work and discuss writing on the message boards. On the surface, it appeared to be exactly what I wanted.

But, after a few minutes of navigating through some writing samples, I was having trouble finding people who share my passion for revealing personal mental problems via the written word. So I decided to start clicking profiles to get a feel for the other members. The first profile I looked at said…

“I’m a 35 year old guy and I write teen giantess stories.”

I thought that was pretty funny, until I realized he wasn’t a comedy writer. He went on to talk about a line of teen giantess comic books he was planning to write. Does he write about giant teenage girls? Or does he write giantess stories for teens? Either way it’s a disturbing genre when it’s written by a 35 year-old dude. I felt like I’d accidentally been linked to a bizarro My Space site…where the weirdos are encouraged to admit the depth of their depravity.

As bizarre as this guy seemed, I’m pretty sure he’s the type of guy with whom I need to surround myself if I’m going to be a successful writer. I don’t know what type of writing I want to pursue, so I write whatever moves me on any given day. I end up writing all kinds of random crap without any specific direction or long term plan. I need a writing/life coach to point me in the right direction, much like the twisted mentor who directed the poor 35 year-old freak show to the highly profitable teen giantess market. One day I hope to focus my writing on a topic that’s equally meaningful.

No comments: