Monday, September 25, 2006

You're an Eight Update

Here’s the follow-up on my previous conversation with the city Plumbing Code Administrator…

PCA,

People actually argued against privacy partitions in urinals? Now there's a cause you can be proud of. What is wrong with people?

Thanks for the info regarding the urinal spacing code. I'm actually going to bring my tape measure in to work to see if the urinals are 30 inches apart. Just out of curiosity, what would the repercussions be if the urinals are not spaced properly?

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

The issue hasn't come up before so I don't know what action we would take. It would be a big deal to move the urinal; my guess would be that we would be reluctant to get involved over an inch or two.

PCA

That's what she said.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

As you can tell by the photos, horizontal stripes are not slimming. As you can also tell, the urinals are more than 5 inches closer than the 30 inch minimum. I have uncovered a huge scandal. I may be in over my head.

Before I think about what to do about this situation, I’ll describe the action that took place to get those pictures taken…

I emailed a friend requesting that he meet me in the 6th floor men’s room to take pictures of me. I was a little uncomfortable with how quickly he agreed. I had a small digital camera, but he showed up with his own industrial sized super camera with wide-angled lens. Again…slightly uncomfortable.

We walked into the bathroom together; me holding the tape measure and him holding his camera…I’m sure that happens all the time in corporate America. Luckily a guy was just finishing his business in stall number two and I quickly walked out while my friend tried to play it off like he had to go.

I waited for a while and after I thought the other guy had left, I walked back in and almost ran into my camera guy, who was nonchalantly walking out of the men's room with a huge camera in his hand. I washed my hands until the other guy left.

My friend came back in and we took the pictures. We left at the same time still holding the camera and tape measure. Someone should have taken a picture of us walking out of the men’s room. It would have been great for a caption contest.

I have indisputable visual evidence that the urinals in my office are way too close together. So now what do I do? Tell the city? Consult high-powered lawyer Denny Crane? To be continued…

No comments: