Friday, October 6, 2006

You're an Eight Update 4

After my lawyer washed his hands of me before returning to “real” work, I went back to the city Plumbing Code Administrator and had this exchange.

PCA,

I feel like Stan Cramer (editor’s note: Stan is a Kansas City local TV news legend who fights for consumer rights). I finally brought my tape measure to work and found that the distance between urinals in the men’s room on my floor is at most 25 inches (pictures below) rather than the required 30 inches. As it turns out, I have more space in which to take care of business than the poor saps on the other 9 floors. I measured each restroom in my building and all of the other urinals are a mere 24 inches apart (pictures unavailable due to my cameraman’s unwillingness to participate in my urinal tour). I also found that the distance between the center of the urinal and the wall should be 15 inches, but these johns came up a couple inches short (that’s what she said).

I’d like to exercise my right to have enough space to comfortably urinate without having a stranger rub up against me. What can be done to ensure that our building is brought up to code? Also, is there any type of witness protection program offered by the city? Because I don’t think “the Man” is going to be very happy with me tattling on him.

Thanks,
Anonymous

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Matt,

Looks like you work in an old building. I see where a contractor has recently done some work but I can’t tell what…I am in Florida at code change hearings so I don’t have access to plans or files.

PCA

PCA,

I’m pretty sure the contractor work did not affect the restrooms. On the floors that I’ve seen, it looks like the only work done was adding conference rooms and offices.

I did some more research and my understanding is that whatever the urinal code was at the time the building was built would be the standard that the building would be held to until a “change of use” or “change of ownership”, which would require the building be brought up to the current code. Is that correct? If so, I believe the building used to be owned by my parent company, but my company split from them and took over the building in mid-May…which I would think would constitute a change of ownership. Let me know if I have my facts right.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

A change in use would require the building to be brought up to code. Ownership has no bearing on the matter. I had some research done for me while I was out of the office and it looks like the building was built in 1973. I don’t think there is anything that we can do about the situation. Typically the statue of limitations on building code items is two years. Sorry.

PCA

End email exchange.

Oh PCA…you have made a horrible mistake. And I’m not talking about your reference to a “statue” of limitations. You’ve brushed me aside. My lawyer brushed me aside. But, I will not idly stand by and let my side continue to be brushed by other men while standing at the urinal. I was violated and I will not rest until I’m vindicated.

No comments: